Y’all! I love to cook. I love everything about it (except doing the dishes after the fact). But sometimes you just don’t have the time or money to make full blown meals. Enter awesome budget friendly meals… No I’m not talking about Ramen Noodles and Mac and Cheese! I’m talking about flautas!
As a college kid I never have endless amounts of money (see my budget friendly way of grocery shopping) and I am often so busy sometimes I just get too tired to cook. This meal is always a big hit in my house and I hope it goes just as well for you! They are easy and cheap to make, but most of all, they taste great!
SOOOOOOO, shall we begin?
Here is how to make budget (and time) friendly flautas. There are some moderations you can make to the recipe depending on your own taste.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Large Spoon
- Frying Pan (optional)
- Baking Sheet
- Foil (optional)
- Basting Brush (optional)
Ingredients for Flautas
- 1 pack of flour tortillas
- 1-2 cans of chicken breast (you can also use a rotisserie chicken or cook and shred chicken breast)
- 3/4 cups of your favorite salsa (more to taste)
- 1/2 cup of Mexican style cheese (more to taste)
- 1/2 cup of canola oil or a splash of olive oil (depending on the method of cooking you choose from the options below)
- Open and drain the canned chicken. Empty contents into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the salsa and cheese to the chicken and mix until completely combined.
- Using a large spoon, add a small portion of the mixture onto a tortilla.
- Form the mixture into a line close to the edge of the tortilla.
- Roll the tortilla completely.
- Place rolled tortilla on baking sheet.
- Repeat steps 3-6 until all of mixture is gone.
- For healthier option: using the basting brush, paint as much or as little olive oil as you want across all the rolled tortillas. This will help them brown while cooking. Preheat oven to 375. Place baking sheet in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- For alternative cooking option: Heat the canola oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, place a few rolled tortillas in the pan at a time. Fry on all sides, about 3 minutes each. Then place finished flautas on a plate covered in paper towels to drain.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, or sour cream.
I have made a recipe card that you can print out here as well! Just click on the picture below.
So it might not be the prettiest meal but let me just say ITS DELISH!! I hope you love this easy and cheap meal as much as I do. Let me know in the comments how yours turn out!